Banner Image

Current newsletter | News Briefs

News Briefs | 12.5.17

Post Image

December 5, 2017

Clean Energy Fuels, Landi Renzo Combine Compressor Businesses

Clean Energy Fuels and Landi Renzo S.p.A. are combining their natural gas compressor manufacturing businesses into a single international company. Clean Energy Compression is established in the North American and South American markets, while Landi Renzo’s SAFE has a presence in Europe and Asia. When the deal closes—likely by the end of the year—Landi Renzo will own 51 percent of the new company and will manage operations; Clean Energy will own the remaining 49 percent and will lead the board.

November Cap-and-Trade Auction Raises $860 Million

In California’s November cap-and-trade auction, greenhouse gas emission permits again sold out, netting $860 million for the state. Permits for current emissions sold for $15.06 each, the highest price yet—$1.50 above the auction floor price and up from $14.75 in August. Permits for emissions in 2020 and beyond sold for $14.75 each. Last month’s auction is the second straight sellout with record prices. These results indicate that extending the cap-and-trade program, which the Coalition advocated for, has fostered long-term confidence in the market.

California FDA Grants $35 Million for Building New Dairy Digesters

The California Department of Food and Agriculture has awarded $35.2 million in grant funding through the 2017–18 Dairy Digester Research and Development Program. The money will be divided among 18 dairy digester projects, which, when completed, will harvest mostly transportation-grade RNG. The digesters will also reduce livestock-based greenhouse gas emissions from each dairy. Recipients are expected to provide an additional $71.2 million in matching funds to develop their projects, which include building manure-only digesters and installing RNG stations that can be connected to utility pipelines.

SCAQMD Gives Clean Air Award to San Bernardino County Transportation Authority

The South Coast Air Quality Management District has recognized the San Bernardino County Transportation Authority’s use of CNG tow trucks with its 29th Annual Clean Air “Model Community Achievement” Award. This award goes to an exceptional single program or strategy that improves air quality and sustainability in the community. According to the SBCTA, it is the first freeway service patrol agency in California to use CNG tow trucks, an initiative that has eliminated 1,477 pounds of criteria air pollutants since August 2014 and saved 1 million gallons of fuel.

Bakersfield Transit District Orders 24 New CNG Buses

Golden Empire Transit District in Bakersfield has ordered 24 new 40-foot, heavy-duty New Flyer Xcelsior CNG transit buses. The new buses will replace aging vehicles and support GET’s focus on sustainability.


Photo ©Westport Innovations, used by permission

Scroll Up